Make: Kids’ Tron Costumes, Part 3

Saturday afternoon is fast becoming my “make day.” By 2 PM on Saturday, the house is cleaned (somewhat), the kids are fed lunch, and materials are set up for making something.

With Halloween fast approaching, it was time to finish the patterns for the kids’ Quorra costumes (see part 1 of this build here and part 2 over here) and actually get the chest pieces cut out of the gross-but-awesome vinyl I have kicking around.

Tracing the pattern onto the vinyl.

Tracing the pattern onto the vinyl.

The nice thing about using this kind of vinyl is that I can be lazy about the cutting and use a craft knife to cut out the cladding. Hurray for lazy sewing.

I already knew that the back pieces would work nicely from a previous test:

Test fitting of the back pieces of the girls' Tron suits. Battery packs for the EL wire will live in the disc's dock. Discs will attach to the dock with magnets.

Test fitting of the back pieces of the girls’ Tron suits. Battery packs for the EL wire will live in the disc’s dock. Discs will attach to the dock with magnets.

But it was nice to see them attached to to the chest piece.

Whistler's chest piece, taped together and tacked to the foam backpiece.

Whistler’s chest piece, taped together and tacked to the foam backpiece.

Of course, there won’t be a dress underneath when the costume is done — there’ll be a patterned undersuit that will show through some of the holes you see. I talked about it a bit in the previous entry.

Of course, there’s a lot of cutting still to be done. The cuts I made from the pattern are just the symmetrical ones — Quorra’s lightlines are roughly mirrored but are still asymmetrical.

And these lightlines are just pure craziness. But there's lots of wire to go around.

And these lightlines are just pure craziness. But there’s lots of wire to go around.

The tricky thing that I need to figure out is exactly how I’m going to run the EL wire through the chestpiece to make it all light up. I’m not going to be able to attach all of the “straps” across the back to the backpiece; it’s going to fit too snugly to just be a pull-over piece. I think that I can run the wire through the light-up areas with enough to spare that I can have it double back in a couple of areas and come around the front from just one side, so that the bottom two straps on the right can just Velcro to the backpiece. I’ll no doubt need to try a few different paths for the wire before landing on something that will work well.

The difference between the kids and I -- I would wear a costume to show off the thing I made. They're proper cosplayers, trying to inhabit the character that they're playing.

The difference between the kids and I — I would wear a costume to show off the thing I made. They’re proper cosplayers, trying to inhabit the character that they’re playing. This pose (minus the accidentally-captured blase expression) was the Fish’s idea, and Whistler’s dual-disc arsenal was hers.

I’ve also abandoned the idea of having the EL wire run down the girls’ legs. The amount of detail I would get from that is far outweighed by the sheer convenience of having more wire to work with. Who knows — I might be able to get a few much brighter spots by doubling up the EL wire thanks to the extra length I get from the bit that was going to be essentially wasted on their legs.

Until next time, as always, paddle your own canoe.

Trevor

Leave a Reply